Thursday 13 November 2014

Getting Capitals Right - A Capital Idea

A couple of friends have mentioned lately that they sometimes get a little confused about when they should use capital letters in their written English. With this in mind, we thought we should look at some guidelines that we hope will be helpful when you are practising your English.

So let’s start with some easy rules first - :
1.    The first word of every sentence always starts with a capital letter. Always!

2.    The pronoun “I” is always capitalised, wherever it appears in a sentence.
Example:
The sea was so cold I did not go in for a swim.

3.    Proper nouns should always be capitalised. As I’m sure you know a proper noun is a name that identifies a person, place or thing. So this will include the names of rivers and mountains, of countries and languages, of religions, sports teams and organisations.

Examples:

a.    My name is Jenny Jones. My address is 3 Sunshine Street, Blackhill, Scotland, United Kingdom.
b.    Have you visited Snowdonia National Park?
c.    My favourite football team is Manchester United.

Please note that whilst the names of the days of the week and months of the year are capitalised, generally the seasons are not.

Examples:
d.    Everybody knows that Friday night is curry night!
e.    I love the spring best of all. (No capital).
So to recap, use a capital letter to start the first word of every sentence, always when using the pronoun “I” and when using proper nouns.
However, there are other times when we should use a capital letter to start a word.
4.    The first word of direct speech, even if not the beginning of the sentence should be capitalised.
    Example
Jane asked “Can I have a chocolate ice-cream?”


5.    Compass directions are capitalised if they refer to particular places or regions, but not if they are given as directions. Let’s look at a couple of examples to clarify.

a.    I would love to visit Eastern Europe.
b.    The North has the highest unemployment figures.
These refer to particular places so need to be capitalised.
c.     Drive east along the motorway until you see the right turn off.
d.     Birds fly south in the winter.
In the last two examples you do not need to capitalise as they are referring to a direction rather than a specific place.
6.    When it comes to words used to describe family relationships (mother, father, brother, sister etc), they should be capitalised if they are used as proper nouns (in place of the person’s name).
Examples:
a.    Tomorrow, I am going to lunch with Mum.
b.    I wrote a thank you note to Uncle Peter. 
However if the word is proceeded by a possessive (my, your, his, her, their), then it is not being used as a proper noun so should not be capitalised.
c.    Tomorrow I am going to lunch with my mum.
d.    I wrote a thank you note to your uncle.

7.    If a person’s title comes before their name it should be capitalised.
Example
a.    I saw the Duke of Edinburgh.
b.    President Obama is the first black president of the USA.

However, there is no need to capitalise the title if it does not immediately precede the name. 
c.    Barrack Obama is the first black president of the USA.

8.    When it comes to brand names, these are proper nouns so should be capitalised, but the noun they refer to should not be given a capital. So I would write about a Mercedes car, an Apple laptop or my Calvin Klein perfume!


I hope this has helped to clarify when words need to be capitalised.


Don’t forget to visit us on Facebook, and remember, if you need help with written English, visit our website at Written English Corrected.      

No comments:

Post a Comment