Wednesday 24 September 2014

As Soon As You Have Read This, You Will Understand - But No Sooner Than That!

Today we will have a look at “no sooner......than” and “as soon as”. Do these both mean the same? Are they interchangeable? Come on guys this is English so we know there is not going to be a simple yes/no answer don’t we!

However if we break it down and look at both phrases individually I hope that it will all become clearer. Let’s start by looking at examples of when to use “no sooner... than”.

Example 1.
No sooner had I found my umbrella than the rain stopped.
Example 2.
No sooner had I closed my eyes than the phone rang.
Example 3.
No sooner had I arrived at the bus station than the bus arrived.

You will notice that all these statements are describing something that has already happened, “no sooner... than”, tends to be used to describe the past tense. You may also notice that the actions are listed in chronological order, the first action or event that is described is the one that happened first. In example 1, I had found my umbrella just before the rain stopped.

A common mistake is for people to use “when” instead of “than”. For example you may see written “No sooner had I closed my eyes when I fell asleep.” This is wrong....”no sooner” always, always is followed in a sentence with “than”, never “when”.
   

In the examples we have given it would be equally correct to use “as soon as.” We could just as easily state:

Example 4.
As soon as I found my umbrella the rain stopped.
Example 5.
As soon as I closed my eyes the phone rang.
Example 6.       
As soon as I arrived at the bus station the bus arrived.

However, “no sooner than” tends to emphasise the very small amount of time between the two events occurring. The two things happen almost immediately.
Just to confuse things a little, when talking in the past tense we can often substitute “hardly”, “scarcely” or “barely” with the same effect.

Example 7.
I had scarcely found my umbrella when the rain stopped.
Example 8.
I had hardly closed my eyes when the phone rang.
Example 9.
I had barely arrived at the bus station when the bus arrived.

All nine statement examples show the correct use of the English language.

However “as soon as” can be seen as more flexible than “no sooner.. than” as it can  also be used to describe something in the present or future tense.

Example 10.
As soon as I have finished this telephone call I will email you the report.
Example 11.
As soon as he has received your cheque he will post out your order.      
Example 12.
Today, as soon as I get home from work, I will eat a huge slice of cake!

I hope this has helped clarify the use of “no sooner...than” and “as soon as”, but if you have any questions please get in touch.

If you have enjoyed this blog please follow us on Facebook to receive all our updates. 

   

No comments:

Post a Comment